Friday, August 21, 2009

A Brief and Less Than Wondrous Posting

Well, I finished reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Now I need to read it again. I am not that well suited to appreciate it with the depth it obviously deserves. I am woefully inept relative to its historical setting, the culture of its protagonist, and the incredible talent of its author. So I will be picking it up again -- not literally but figuratively because the book is on my Kindle --- and going through it with a fine-toothed comb, to use a cliché and evidence my ineptness over against Junot's. In fact, the book is so compelling it is difficult to even remember its title. Not only that, but the title includes an allusion to luminary, Oscar Wilde. Who would've thunk it? In fact, as I began it and read on through, it I kept looking up Oscar Wao, trying to figure out where that had come from, and it was only tonight when I found out that it referenced the playwright.

No comments: