Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Big Brother --- Little Brother

I'm about a quarter of the way through Cory Doctorow's novel, Little Brother, about a group of teenagers in San Francisco who lived through a terrorist attack on the Oakland Bay Bridge and the BART system. It's a fast-paced, interesting novel.

The protagonist is Marcus Yallow. He and a few friends decide to play hooky from school in order to play some kind of nerd game --- as I think back about it it reminds me somewhat of something to do with GPS finding, but I'd have to flip back and read that part again confirm that up --- when terrorists strike. In the aftermath of the attack, masses of people are hurrying away, or, perhaps, being herded away. Marcus's friend, Daryl, gets stabbed by somebody in the melee, and when they hurry up from the underground BART system onto the street to try to flag somebody down to help them, they are taken captive by employees of Homeland Security. They are then held as enemy combatants, and their fundamental rights as citizens are denied them.

After Marcus is freed, it is apparent that he will attempt to fight back. It is obvious that the title, Little Brother, is a play on Orwell's novel, 1984.

I can hardly wait to get back to it tonight at bedtime when I do most of my frivolous reading.

No comments: