Tuesday, December 2, 2008

MISCELLANEOUS

One day soon when I get a minute I need to create another blog on taxation for writers and artisans. Kelly Lindberg suggested it might be a way to attract some attention for my book, Making Expression Less Taxing, a Freelancer's Tax Resource. There is still a plethora of things I don't know about promoting books. I'm sure there are things I don't know that I don't want to know either.

Most of today I have been reading through and editing and making remarks about Britney's book about the fall. The Fall as in The Fall in religion, that is. Her book, I believe, has some potential. I'm thinking, however, it might have an audience that is quite limited because the view of the fall presented in it is from the LDS perspective.

I have been reading, among other books, Slavery by Another Name: the Re-enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II. It was written by Douglas A. Blackmon. I heard Blackmon on the Diane Rehm show on PBS. I was so impressed with his presentation there that I immediately checked to see if the Kindle book was available and purchased it after finding out it was

It is essentially a history book and its title is pretty descriptive of the subject matter. It chronicles how Southern whites essentially re-enslaved the supposedly liberated and emancipated slaves of the South after the Civil War. Not only did the whites --- not all whites of course --- re-enslave many blacks, but for the most part they did so in a more grotesque and in your main way that was done before the Civil War and the emancipation. Where before the war slaves worked primarily in agriculture, after the war, they were generally forced to work in mining and manufacturing

Southern whites enacted ridiculous laws that discriminated against the blacks whereby the blacks could be arrested on almost any pretense. For example, they could be arrested for loitering, also known as vagrancy, and jailed and fined for everything under the sun: to pay the man who arrested them, the man who jailed them, the justice of the peace who sentenced them, and any number of other individuals involved in their "handling" and "processing," so much so that it was impossible for them to ever pay or for anyone they knew or were related to, to help them pay. Once the whites had them in that situation, the local governments sold them to whoever was willing to pay their fees and fines. This included mining and other manufacturing concerns and individuals involved in agriculture. But now, the blacks were treated more harshly than ever. It was a disgusting scenario.

No comments: