Friday, April 2, 2010

The Intimidating Library

You know how libraries are: intimidating.

So many books, at least in big libraries; you could never read them all. So much information. So much opinion. So many pictures and diagrams. Things to listen to and watch.

I could never read them all, not with the time I have left and with my inclinations to do something else. But there's a lot there in a library. A lot to learn. A lot to contemplate. A lot of varying opinion.

The trouble is, after you go to the library you come home and think about all the things you missed in your life by not being able to read all those books. You think of all the time you wasted when you were younger, and all the time you wasted when you were not so young. It can be depressing.

And then, on top of that, people are coming along every day wanting to add to the library stores, publishing books they think should add to the collection, or replace something else there.

Maybe all of this is why I don't go to the library too often to check books or other materials out. I know I should, but the truth of the matter is that I have a pretty good library right here at home, one that is fully capable of intimidating me and making me realize how little I know. So I don't need to get in the car, navigate my way down to the library, and become depressed thinking how little I know and how much is out there to know.

No, I'm perfectly content to sit here and to utilize the content of the library I have here at home, the one I have been slowly working on converting to e-data. Well, most of the time, that is. Sometimes I'm up to a little intimidation and depression.

No comments: