Monday, March 1, 2010

The Fruit on the Tree

One of the things I liked most I think growing up as a boy was my neighborhood.

I liked going to the various yards I could get into without getting into trouble and there in the spring and summertime finding some fresh fruit still on the trees to eat. Cherries, apricots, apples, peaches, and plums. The people whose fruit I took I don't think cared one iota. They had no plans to harvest the fruit as far as I ever saw or knew. Of course, there were other yards I didn't go into to take fruit because those people did harvest and preserve their fruit.

I don't know why I was always so hungry to go find some fruit to eat; it wasn't like my mother and father starved me at home. We had plenty to eat as far as I can remember, so it's a curiosity now to remember those long-ago escapades into other realms to feast.

I don't know what made me think of those days tonight except that I've been reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. There's plenty of reason to think of food in that particular book.

Anyway, the past few days have hinted at spring and soon there will be blossoms on the trees. However, we don't have a single fruit tree in our yard and I don't have much of an appetite for fresh fruit these days. The thing I liked most I think growing up as a boy was my neighborhood.

I liked going to the various yards I could get into without getting into trouble and there in the spring and summertime finding some fresh fruit still on the tree to eat. Cherries, apricots, apples, peaches, and plums. The people whose fruit I took I don't think cared one iota. They had no plans to harvest the fruit as far as I ever saw. Of course, there were other yards I didn't go into to take fruit because those people did harvest and preserve the fruit.

I don't know why I was always so hungry to go find some fruit; it wasn't like my mother and father starved me at home. We had plenty to eat as far as I can remember, so it's a curiosity now to remember those long ago escapades into other realms to feast.

I don't know what made me think of those days except that I've been reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. There's plenty of reason to think of food in reading that particular book.

Anyway, the past few days have hinted at spring and soon there will be blossoms on the trees again. However, we don't have a single fruit tree in our yard and I don't have much of an appetite for fresh fruit these days.

No comments: