Wednesday, April 29, 2009

With a Whimper

I took a few minutes and read the article "American capitalism gone with a whimper" by Stanislav Mishin in Pravda that a friend of mine provided a link to in his e-mail to me. Of course the tone of the article is "we've [Russia] been there [Marxism] and done that" so we have a higher moral authority on the question of capitalism slippage in America. Funny. Hilarious.

And the article's caption is also amusing. So all those businesses up and down Main Street and over on restaurant row are now operated by the United States government or some state or local government --- gone with a whimper? When the opening premise of an article is so flawed, the inclination is to not read on. But since the author was trying so hard to make a few jokes, I decided to have a few good laughs of my own by reading on.

Of course any criticism by little old me is tainted by all of those McDonald's and Burger King burgers I have eaten that have clouded my judgment and the fact that I am uneducated (especially in the classics), except for our pop culture, you know, 24 and Big Love. Although, I have to say I'm not homophobic like the author or worried about how the United States political scene washes between conservativism and liberalism or the planks of parties like the Libertarian, Democratic, or even, heaven help me, the Republican.

And by the way, I didn't realize that McDonald's and Burger King had been nationalized. What about Wendy's and --- heaven forbid --- Utah Noodle Parlor? Last time I ate at Wendy's, I thought there had been a falling off in the taste of their chili. No wonder I had all that gas.

No comments: